Courses taught in the Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Medicine and Nutrigenomics:
• "Biochemistry" for students in Medicine, Dental Medicine and Pharmacy (including English programme in Medicine and Dental Medicine)
• "Biochemistry" for students in speciality "Assistant Pharmacist" and "Biochemistry and pathobiochemistry" for students in speciality "Medical laborant" at the Medical college
• Free-elective course "Molecular Biology in Medicine" for students in Medicine
• Free-elective course "Functional foods and nutraceuticals" for students in Pharmacy
• Free-elective course "High performance liquid chromatography of biologically active substances" for students in Pharmacy
• Free-elective course "Omics sciences in pharmacy" for students in Pharmacy.
The Department has introduced innovative methods in teaching biochemistry, including group work, student presentations on clinically-oriented tasks and questions for discussion, within a joint project with the Department of Biochemistry of the University of Dundee, UK, funded by the British Council. New forms of current control are also introduced. Lectures, seminars and practicals are held in modern, high-tech equipped auditoriums, halls and laboratories. Several new textbooks for seminars and practicals are developed and published by the academic staff of the department. All lectures are uploaded in the Blackboard platform, used also for online written examinations in the form of tests. The Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Medicine and Nutrigenomics is accredited for post-graduate PhD studies in Biochemistry.
Textbooks by the academic staff of the Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Medicine and Nutrigenomics:
1. Ivanova D, Kiselova-Kaneva Y, Galunska B, Nashar M, Vankova D. A handbook of biochemistry. Review study questions and laboratory manuals-a clinical approach. Publ. Ris Varna, 174 p., ISBN 978-954-8165-18-1, 2015
2. Ivanova D, Galunska B, Nazifova N, Kiselova-Kaneva Y. Tasks and practical exercises in biochemistry, handbook for students in Pharmacy. Varna Medical University Press, 88 p. ISBN 978-954-9685-74-9, 2012. In Bulgarian
3. Galunska B, Ivanova D, Vankova D, Tasinov O. Handbook of Biochemistry for students in Dental Medicine. Varna Medical University Press, 130 p. ISBN 978-954-9685-67-1, 2012. In Bulgarian.
4. Gerova D., Galunska B, Zhelyazkova-Savova M, Paskalev D. Vitamin D: beyond the rubicon of rickets. Steno Publ.Varna, 71 p. ISBN 978-954-449-579-4, 2012. In Bulgarian
5. Ivanova D, Galunska B, Nashar M, Pavlov D. Tasks and practical exercises in biochemistry, handbook for medical students. Varna Medical University Press, 164 p. ISBN 978-954-9685-59-6, 2011. In Bulgarian
6. Galunska B, Yankova T, Paskalev D, Chervenkov T. Biochemical Aspects of some diseases - 28 clinical cases. Spectra Publ. Varna, 2008. In Bulgarian
7. Yankova T, Gerova D. Biochemistry in schemes. Varna Medical University Press, 276 p. 2004. In Bulgarian
8. Galunska B, Gerova D, Ivanova D, Chervenkov T, Yankova T. Tests of Biochemistry. Varna Medical University Press, 191 p., 2002. In Bulgarian
9. Ivanova, D. Basic course of Molecular Biology in Medicine. Varna Medical University Press, 111 p., 2003. In Bulgarian.
10. Kalitsin D, Dancheva K, Vasileva-Staykova R. Guide to practical exercises in biochemistry. Sofia, Science and Art Publ., Sofia, 153 p., 1980. In Bulgarian
11. Kalitsin D, Dancheva K. Biochemistry. Science and Art Publ. Sofia, 669 p., 1984. In Bulgarian
12. Kalitsin D (Ed). Handbook for practical exercises in Biochemistry. Medicine and Sports Publ., Sofia, 189 p., 1973. In Bulgarian