The research activities of the lecturers are in the field of Food Chemistry. Work is underway in the following two directions:
Direction "Food Safety":
1. Content determination of persistent organic pollutants (PCBs, DDT and metabolites) in the Black Sea and freshwater fishes and shellfish
2. Determination of toxic metals in the Black Sea fishes and sediments
3. Safety Assessment of the Black Sea and freshwater fishes as food
Direction "Food Composition":
1. Determination of fatty acid profile of different fish species – endemic to the Black Sea and freshwater
2. Nutritional and energy value of the Black Sea and freshwater fishes
3. Determination of fat-soluble vitamins in marine organisms
4. Bioactive substances in natural products
- "Evaluation of the role of vitamin E as a nutritional supplement in the treatment of patients with cardiovascular diseases", funded by the Ministry of Education and Science (MES), Scientific Research Fund.
- " Nutrigenomics and Food Chemistry ", 2007, funded by MES, Scientific Research Fund
- "Safety and nutritional value of the Black Sea foodstuffs", funded by MES, Scientific Research Fund, DVU440/2008.
- "Composition and safety of the Black Sea algae - resources for food and pharmaceutical products" , 2011, under implementation
- An accomplished project for cooperation with Albena Resort Complex - AD for quality assessment of food products used in the Resort Complex in 2011, under implementation
The Department has won "Varna Prize", awarded by the District Governor and the Mayor of Varna for the implementation of the projects "Nutrigenomics and Food Chemistry" and "Safety and nutritional value of the Black Sea foodstuffs ".
The successfully implemented projects resulted in the establishment of a Laboratory of Food and Environment and the creation of a new scientific direction "Food Chemistry - composition, quality and safety". All members of the Department are operating in this direction.