Project title: Increasing the capacity of the The "Food and Environmental Chemistry Laboratory" at the Medical University - Varna and its transformation in a specialized laboratory for the exploration of marine and freshwater resources and aquaculture
The project is funded under BG02 Program "Integrated Marine and Inland Water Management", priority BG 02.02: "Improved Monitoring of Marine Waters" and the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area (EEA) 2009-2014.
Aim of the project
Exploration of different types of marine and freshwater organisms as bio indicators for chemical pollution of the Black Sea, Danube and other freshwater basins and assessment of their safety as food.
1. Equipment of the laboratory with new equipment and its putting into operation.
2. Development and application of highly efficient methodologies for analysis of different chemical pollutants in biota and water and monitoring.
3. Accreditation of analyzes performed in the laboratory.
4. Establishment of cooperation with the university / scientific organization and NGOs by the donor countries to explore and apply their experience.
5. Establishment of Knowledge Transfer and Innovation Center.
6. Ensure publicity of the project and its outcomes.
Activities: Activity 1.
Equipment of the laboratory with a new apparatus - an inductively coupled plasma optic emission spectrometer (ICP-OES) for the analysis of chemical elements and a sample preparation system.
Development and application of highly efficient methodologies for the determination of toxic elements and persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in biota, some aquaculture and waters.
Activity 3.Activity 5.
Perform one-year pollution monitoring.
Assessment of the quality and safety of the fish and other aquatic organisms studied as food.
Accreditation of the laboratory.
Activity 6.Activity 7.
Establishing collaboration with a university / scientific organization and NGOs from donor countries to explore and apply their experience.
Creating a Knowledge Transfer and Innovation Center.
Organization of workshops to discuss the results of the project.
Action 9.Activity 10.
Organization of a conference to present the results of the project.
Multimedia presentations to promote the results of the project and the Laboratory.