WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE A HEALTH ASSISTANT AND WHERE THEY CAN WORK:
The activities carried out by a health assistant are targeted at improving the quality of life of patients by providing medical, social and psychological support for a healthy lifestyle, for re-socialization and adaptation after an operation or chronic diseases.
A health assistant can work in the field of health care - in the structures of health care establishments for active treatment, in medical institutions for further treatment (medical and rehabilitation facilities, medical and residential care establishments), in the community (hospices for terminally ill, in households, at residential care institutions for the elderly and homes for people with disabilities). His/her work involves supporting the activities of health care specialists in the implementation of preventive measures, in the therapeutic process and recovery period. A health care assistant provides basic health care and / or supports the activities of health care specialists at medical institutions for further treatment (medical and rehabilitation facilities, medical and residential care establishments), in the community (hospices for terminally ill, in households, at residential care institutions for the elderly and homes for people with disabilities).
The professional activities conducted by a health assistant are legally regulated by Ordinance № 1 of the Ministry of Health from 2011 (SG. issue 15 from 2011) for the professional activities that nurses, midwives, associated medical specialists and health assistants can perform either under employment or being self-employed.
HOW LONG DOES THE COURSE LAST: The period of study is 6.5 months, full time education, total number of 980 hours (480 theoretical and 500 practical).
WHO ORGANIZES THE COURSE AND WHEN IT IS ORGANIZED: The course is organized by the Vocational Training Centre at Medical University "Prof. Dr. P. Stoyanov"- Varna. Starting : October 2013.
WHERE: The training is conducted at the bases of MU-Varna and "St. Marina" University Hospital -Varna by University lecturers and senior nurses.
WHAT KIND OF DOCUMENT SHALL BE ISSUED AFTER COMPLETING STUDIES: At the end of the course students are issued a Professional Qualification Certificate, valid both in Bulgaria and EU countries.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST: The tuition fee is 2,000 Lev (two thousand Lev), deposited in:
DSK Bank EAD, branch Varna
Reason for payment: Attending a Health Assistant Course
REQUIREMENTS: the required minimum educational level for persons, aged 16 and over, is completed secondary education or an acquired right to sit for state examinations, a medical certificate.
- The student is not required to have a lower degree of professional qualification or professional experience in any other related professions in order to be educated in the profession "Health Assistant" for acquiring a tertiary degree of professional qualification.
- When persons, who have completed training in the professions "Governess", "Social Work Assistant", "Teacher Assistant", "Social Assistant" or "Caregiver" apply for education in the profession "Health Assistant" for acquiring a tertiary degree of professional qualification, their education is recognized and further training is organized. The content of training shall be determined after a comparison of the competencies and learning outcomes, described in the State Educational Requirements (SER) for Acquiring Professional Qualification.
- For persons with professional experience of 6 and more than 6 months (who have worked as a Hospital Orderly) training in the profession of "Health Assistant" is organized, which includes the acquisition of the competencies, described in item 4 of SER.
- Persons who have completed training for acquiring professional qualification, organized by ministries, municipalities, higher schools, employers' organizations, organizations of workers and employees, individual employers or individual training (Art. 9, para 2 and 3 of the Lаw On Vocational Education and Training) and who meet the requirements shall submit an application to the Director of VTC for the organization of their further training;
WHAT KIND OF DOCUMENTS SHALL BE SUBMITTED:
- Certificate of Completed Education (Diploma);
- Copy of the Identity Card;
- Medical Certificate;
- Application to the Director of VTC;
- Deposit slip for the fee paid;
- 2 passport size photos
- Other document, certifying completed courses for hospital orderly.
DEADLINES FOR SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS:
Documents shall be submitted by the end of September, at the building of Medical College - Varna (84, Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd – located next to the building of the Health Insurance Fund), first floor, rooms 112 and 113, every working day from 8:30am to 4:00pm (Lunch break 12.00-12:30)
VTC Director - Dr. Lyudmil Tsvetkov 052/677-263, email@example.com
VTC Organizer - Diyana Georgieva 052/677-244, firstname.lastname@example.org