The Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology is the largest medical-biological department at Medical University - Varna, a centre of education and scientific research. By 1973 it had existed as two separate departments - Department of Anatomy and Department of Histology and Embryology. In 1973 they merged into the Department of Anatomy and Histology, later renamed to Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology. The new organizational structure provides an integrated study of the human body at its various levels of organization for educational, clinical and research purposes.
The Anatomy Museum, which was built with the volunteer work of the lecturers, possesses a rich and remarkable on an international scale collection of bone and joint preparations, corrosion preparations on the structure of organs, counterstained preparations of the nervous system, wet preparations of internal organs, topographic anatomy preparations, a museum with radiograms, xerograms and angiograms, museum collections on computed tomography and electron microscopy of cells and tissues. The practical exercises in Cytology, General Histology and General Embryology are supplied with complete sets of histological preparations and electronograms, developed in the Department, and students are provided with opportunities to work independently, which is a prerequisite for raising the academic performance to the level of scientific research. The Department has adequate and well-maintained teaching materials related to all other sections of the discipline. Lecture courses are visualized with several thousands of slides, over 300 images and posters and they are multimedia equipped.
Heads of the Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology
- From the foundation of the Department of Anatomy in 1962 and after its unification with the Department of Histology and Embryology in 1973 till 1988 - Prof. Vanko Vankov.
- Head of the Department of Histology and Embryology from 1965 to 1970 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Emanuel Chakarov.
- Head of the Department of Histology and Embryology from 1972 to 1973 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Viktor Dokov.
- Interim Head of the Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology from 1988 to 1990 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Georgi Marinov.
- From 1990 to 1992 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Zdravko Nanov.
- From 1992 to 2000 - Prof. Dr. Spasimir Nikolov.
- From 2000 to 2005 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Georgi Marinov.
- From 2005 to 2008 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Yonko Yonkov.
- From 2008 to 2012 – Assoc. Prof. Dr. Minko Minkov.
- The present Head of the Department is Prof. Dr. Anton Tonchev.