Research activities at the Department of Internal Medicine comprise almost the whole diagnostic and therapeutic spectrum of the disciplines and its essential part is focused on general and specialized clinical practice.
The following fields are being developed:
- prevention, diagnosis of ischemic heart disease and valvular heart diseases, treatment and prognosis of patients with CVD and heart failure;
- Bronco-obstructive Diseases, Pulmonary Infections, Lung Cancer, Clinical Allergology, intensive care of Pulmonary Diseases;
- Sleep Medicine;
- etiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the esophagus, stomach, liver, colon;
- prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases;
- studies with different extracorporeal purification methods in Nephrology and in other clinical disciplines (Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Hematology) are being conducted;
- studies on biological compatibility of different materials used in Medicine;
- studies related to kidney transplantation from living donors;
- study on circulating immunological substances in the blood, early diagnostics, cytogenetic and molecular - biological disorders in myelodysplastic syndromes and acute leukemias, molecular- biological disorders and correlation with angiogenesis in the bone marrow in myeloproliferative neoplasms, leukemic stem cells;
- History of Medicine.
A number of clinical studies on new, effective medications in the various fields of Internal Medicine are being conducted.