on Implementation of Formation, Accumulation, Recognition and Credit Transfer Systems (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)
I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Art. 1. These Regulations on Implementation of Formation, Accumulation, Recognition and Credit Transfer Systems at Medical University - Varna are prepared on the grounds of the current legislative and regulatory basis in the Republic of Bulgaria and the European Union.
Art. 2. The Management determines and specifies the terms and conditions for implementation of Formation, Accumulation, Recognition and Credit Transfer Systems at Medical University – Varna.
Art. 3. The implementation of Formation, Accumulation, Recognition and Credit Transfer Systems, as an integral part of the organization of the study process at Medical University – Varna, is based on the generally adopted provisions in the field of higher education:
3.1. ECTS credits shall be allocated only at basic units of higher education institutions, accredited and established under the terms and conditions, provided by the Higher Education Act, to students, enrolled in accordance with the legal regulations in all forms of education, provided in Art. 42, para 9 of the Higher Education Act.
3.2. ECTS credit is a numerical expression of the student workload required to acquire certain knowledge, skills and habits throughout the training process in the programmes of studies provided at the higher education institution for acquiring educational and qualification degree Bachelor, Master and Professional Bachelor.
3.3. ECTS credits are distributed per academic years, semesters and training courses.
3.4. ECTS credits provide a choice of subjects, study forms, forms of individual work, as well as mobility on the basis of mutual recognition of stages and learning outcomes between ECTS - partners and other universities in the country and abroad.
II. CREDIT FORMATION
Art. 4. ECTS credits are formed on the basis of full-time student workload ( auditorium and extra- auditorium) in compulsory, optional and facultative training subjects, set in the study programme of each specialty.
Art. 5. The formation of credits follows the requirement for their expression into an integer.
III. CREDIT ALLOCATION AND ACCUMULATION
Art. 6. Training in a study programme at a higher education institution provides the allocation of 60 credits per academic year *, i.e. 30 credits per semester.
* The academic year at the Medical University of Varna, in accordance with the Regulations on Educational Affairs, is divided into two semesters - winter and summer, each of them lasting 15 weeks.
Art. 7. Acquisition and accumulation of credits for a certain educational and qualification degree in a certain specialty are implemented in compliance with the following general provisions:
• minimum horarium of a training course - 15 hours.
• one credit is equivalent to 25-30 hours full-time student workload (FSW)
FSW = AW (auditorium workload) + EW (extra-auditorium workload)
• the ratio between auditorium and extra-auditorium workload is determined by the study programme of the specialty, whereas the auditorium workload share cannot exceed half of the full-time student workload or AW≤ ½ FSW
• 1 hour auditorium workload corresponds to at least one hour extra-auditorium individual work
• credits also shall be allocated for extra-auditorium workload, diploma theses, state examinations and practical training, when they constitute an essential part of the study programme of the educational degree and can be actually measured.
• minimum number of credits required for acquiring the educational and qualification Bachelor's degree is 240, 10 of them allocated for a successfully taken state examination or diploma thesis defense.
• minimum number of credits required for acquiring the educational and qualification Master's degree, after acquiring Bachelor's degree in the same specialty, requires not less than 60 credits in the study programme, 15 of them allocated for a successfully taken state examination or diploma thesis defense.
• minimum number of credits required for acquiring the educational and qualification Master's degree, after acquiring Bachelor's degree in another specialty, is determined by the higher education institution in accordance with the provisions in Art. 10, para 1, item 3 of the State Requirements for Acquiring Higher Education of the Educational and Qualification Degrees of Bachelor, Master and Specialist, whereas their number cannot be less than 60 credits.
• minimum number of credits required for acquiring only the educational and qualification Master's degree is not less than 300 credits, 15 of them allocated for a successfully taken state examination or diploma thesis defense.
• minimum number of credits required for acquiring professional higher education of the educational and qualification degree Professional Bachelor is 180 credits, 10 of them allocated for a successfully taken state examination.
IV. CREDIT RECOGNITION AND TRANSFER
Art. 8. Recognition and credit transfer system is implemented at Medical University - Varna by means of the following basic documents:
8.1. Information Package – a course catalogue, containing information on study programmes, available courses, lecturers who conduct the courses, credits allocated for each course, method of assessment, recommended literature, etc.
8.2. Application form for students from other higher education institutions
8.3. Transcript of Records for recognition educational credits and periods of study at other higher education institutions
8.4. Agreement (contract) on training of students from other higher education institutions.
Art. 9. Each student at Medical University - Varna has the right to apply for training at a Medical University ECTS - partner abroad, for a period of three months up to one year. The deadline for submitting mobility applications is determined for each academic year.
Art. 10. Approval of students, willing to study abroad, training period recognition and credit transfer is implemented by a Commission, appointed upon an order of the Rector of Medical University - Varna.
Art. 11. The main candidate selection criteria are the total learning outcome of the semester examinations up to that moment and fluency in the relevant foreign language.
Art. 12. Training period recognition and credit transfer takes place after submitting a Transcript of Records from the host university.
V. CREDIT REGISTRATION
Art. 13. Credits allocated to students shall be entered in the student book and the Log Book by the habilitated person who conducts the examination in the respective subject.
Art. 14. The credits allocated to students, entered in the Log Book, shall be written in the Transcript of Records and the European Diploma Supplement, whereas along with the learning outcomes (according to the six-point marking systems), they shall be entered in accordance with the ECTS scale, as follows: Excellent (6) – A; Very good (5) – B; Good (4) – C ; Satisfactory (3) - D.
GENERAL FORM FOR CREDIT FORMATION IN EACH TRAINING COURSE
1. TOTAL HORARIUM (HOURS)
|Auditorium Workload (AW)|| || || || Extra- auditorium Workload (EW)|||
| || ||Total|
1 credit = 25-30 hours Full-time Student Workload
FSW = AW (Auditorium Workload) + EW (Extra-auditorium Workload)
2. MAIN FORMS OF TRAINING
|Auditorium Forms||Extra-auditorium Forms|
- Individual study for examination
- Individual study for seminar exercises
- Individual study for practical exercises
- Individual work with scientific literature
- Development of a paper
- Development of a course project
3.MAIN FORMS OF CONTROL AND ASSESSMENT
|Current Control||Final Assessment|
- Tests (different types)
- Roll play
- Problem and practical tasks
- Development of a paper
- Development of a course project
- Development of a report
- Conducting research
- Work with legal documents
- Attendance in classes *
- Active participation in lectures and seminars *
- Written and oral examination
- Another form .........................
* * From 0.10 to 0.50 to the total score of the current control
4. FORMATION OF THE FINAL LEARNING OUTCOME OF THE TRAINING COURSE
It is estimated on the basis of the percentage ratio between the current control and the final assessment.