1. Q: I am an EU citizen. How do I apply for the Programmes offered in English?
A: You can apply for the Programme of Medicine and the programme of Dental Medicine following the three simple steps as follows:
Read carefully the admission criteria, requirements and see if you meet them (you could also contact us by e-mail for assessment of your eligibility); If yes, you could then proceed with step 2.
Choose an Entry test date, register http://e-application.mu-varna.bg and sit the Entry tests.
Submit all the required application documents as soon as possible and do not wait for the deadline!
For detailed explanation of the application process please click here.
2. Q: I have already applied online. How do I proceed with my application documents?
A: Once you have prepared your paper-based supporting application documents (attested/legalized and translated into Bulgarian language as per the requirements):
1. Print the successfully registered application
2. Tick each prepared paper-based required supporting document onto the last page of the printed application form
3. Sign the application form
4. Submit to the Office of Admissions your application along with all the required paper-based supporting application documents within the application deadline
3. Q: I am a non-EU citizen. How do I apply?
A: Please follow the steps pointed below:
Read carefully the admission criteria, requirements and see if you meet them. If yes, you can then start preparing all the required application documents;
Submit all the required application documents to Medical University of Varna within the stated deadline.
Medical University of Varna will assess your application and if you meet the requirements for admission, your documents would be then submitted by the University to the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science in Sofia for final approval.
After obtaining the certificate for the right of the applicant to study at Medical University of Varna we would contact you to collect it and then apply to the Bulgarian Consulate in your country or the nearest boarding country where there is one for issuing a visa type D (Study visa).
4. Q: Are there any subject or grade requirements for admission for EU students?
A: We require the prospective EU students to have taken successfully Biology and Chemistry courses in secondary school. We would consider all end of year certificates with marks in Biology and Chemistry. Furthermore, we are forming a competitive ranking of all applications based on the results of:
1. Biology and Chemistry marks from the secondary education (end of year certificates-class 9, 10, 11 or 12) or the results from the Diploma (secondary school leaving certificate)
2. The obtained Biology and Chemistry marks from the Entry tests in English.
5. Q: Is there an age requirement for applicants?
A: We do not have any age requirement for the applicants. It is mandatory though the applicants to have graduated secondary education (high school) and to have obtained a Diploma of completed secondary school (secondary school leaving certificate).
6. Q: I am a mature applicant. Is the application process the same for me?
A: Yes, the application process is the same for mature applicants or for continuing your education after recognition of obtained degree.
7. Q: Are there any admission tests in English for EU citizens?
A: Yes, to review the requirements for the Programmes in Medicine and Dental Medicine in English for the 2017 admission tests in Chemistry and Biology, please refer to the following: http://mu-varna.bg/EN/Admission/Pages/entry-test-new.aspx
8. Q: I am an UK citizen interested in the Programmes in English you offer. Should I sit the English for Academic Medical Studies examination?
A: The English language competence of the applicants is proved either by submitting one of the following certificates or passing an English language test conducted the same day as the Biology and Chemistry Entry tests.
Native speakers and those holding an IB Diploma are not required to prove their English language competence.
List with Internationally Recognized Language Proficiency Tests
|Accepted language proficiency tests and certificates||Level/scores required|
|Cambridge ESOL Exams ||FCE level - Pre-Advanced First Certificate in English, or higher|
|ECL||Level B2, or higher|
|IELTS||Band 6 – competent user, or higher|
|Pearson Test of English General||Level 3, or higher|
|TELC||The European Language Certificates, or telc - language tests|
telc English B2, or higher
|TOEFL iBT (computer-based test)||Scores from 61 and above|
|TOEFL PBT (paper-based test)||Scores from 543 and above; Score of 4.0 (scale 1-6) in written test or higher|
|Trinity's Integrated Skills in English (ISE) exams||ISE II level, or higher |
9. Q: When is the deadline for application?
A: There are different application deadlines. If you are interested in:
- the programmes in English and you are EU prospective student, please click here application deadlines ;
- if you are non-EU prospective student, please click here application deadlines
- direct admission in the Programmes offered in Bulgarian language (proficient in Bulgaria) and you are EU citizen or hold a permanent residence in Bulgaria, then you should click here
10. Q: Where can I get my documents translated into Bulgarian language?
A: Documents with the apostille stamps need to be translated into Bulgarian in one of the following two ways:
1. By a consular or Diplomatic official in the country where the document is issued;
By a translation agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
of the Republic of Bulgaria. You can contact translation offices in
Bulgaria. There are plenty of translation offices in Varna.
11. Q: Where can I get my documents legalized (certified)?
issued in a foreign state which is party to the Hague Convention shall
have an apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For more
information regarding the Apostille stamp and the authorities,
authorized to issue Apostille, please refer to http://www.hcch.net or www.apostilleinfo.com
the country of the applicant is not a member the Hague Convention (did
not sign it) the documents must be legalized by the Ministry of
Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country of
residence of the applicant and the Consular section of the Embassy of
the Republic of Bulgaria in the respective country.
all authentications (apostilles and seals) must be original and not
copies, applied on the documents, which are to be submitted at Medical
University of Varna.
We strongly advise you to read the following important information: http://www.mfa.bg/en/pages/51/index.html
Q: I did not study Biology and Chemistry courses in my secondary
education? Can I join the Preparatory courses you offer and compensate
A: The preparatory courses we offer cannot
compensate the lack of Biology and Chemistry training in secondary
school. The purpose of our preparatory courses is to teach students the
language (Bulgarian or English)-general and specialized (terminology).
advise you to contact the Ministry of Education in your country and
enquire for the options of conducting the Biology and Chemistry training
obligatory for secondary education in your country.
13. Q: What are the tuition fees for international students?
A: You can find the tuition fees from here.
14. Q: Can I visit MUV before I apply / after my application?
You are welcome to visit our University during our open days.
If those dates are not appropriate we would be glad to offer you
University tours throughout the year, you just have to contact us at
admissions@mu-varna and inform us in advance (at least a week).