1. Q: I am an EU citizen. How do I apply for the Programmes offered in English?
A: You can apply for the Programme of Medicine and the programme of Dental Medicine following the three simple steps as follows:
Read carefully the admission criteria, requirements and see if you meet them (you could also contact us by e-mail for assessment of your eligibility); If yes, you could then proceed with step 2
Choose an Entry test date, register for it and sit the tests
Submit all the required application documents as soon as possible and do not wait for the deadline!
For detailed explanation of the application process please click here.
2. Q: I am a non-EU citizen. How do I apply?
A: Please follow the steps pointed underneath.
Read carefully the admission criteria, requirements and see if you meet them; If yes, you can then start preparing all the required application documents;
Submit all the required application documents to Medical University of Varna within the stated deadline;
Medical University of Varna will assess your application and if you meet the requirements for admission, your documents would be then submitted by the University to the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science in Sofia for final approval.
After obtaining the certificate for the right of the applicant to study at Medical University of Varna we would contact you to collect it and then apply to the Bulgarian Consulate in your country for issuing a visa type D (Study visa)
The admission criteria, application documents and deadlines for submission of application documents can be found in our how to apply menu
3. Q: Are there any subject or grade requirements for admission for EU students?
A: We require the prospective EU students to have taken successfully Biology and Chemistry courses in secondary school. We would consider all end of year certificates with marks in Biology and Chemistry. Furthermore we are forming a competitive ranking of all applications based on the results of:
1. Biology and Chemistry marks from the secondary education (end of year certificates-class 9, 10, 11 or 12) or the results from the Diploma (secondary school leaving certificate)
2. The obtained Biology and Chemistry marks from the Entry tests in English.
4. Q: Is there an age requirement for applicants?
A: We do not have any age requirement for the applicants. It is mandatory required though the applicants to have graduated secondary education (high school) and to have obtained a Diploma of completed secondary school (secondary school leaving certificate).
5. Q: I am a mature applicant. Is the application process the same for me?
A: Yes, the application process is the same for mature applicants as well unless you do not apply for transfer or for continuing your education after recognition of obtained degree.
6. Q: Is there an admission test in English for EU citizens?
A:The English language competence of the applicants is proved either by submitting one of the following certificates or passing an English language test
conducted the same day as the Biology and Chemistry Entry tests.
Native speakers and those holding an IB Diploma are not required to prove their English language competence.
List with Internationally Recognized Language Proficiency Tests
Accepted language proficiency tests and certificates
Cambridge ESOL Exams
FCE level - Pre-Advanced First Certificate in English, or higher
Level B2, or higher
Band 6 – competent user, or higher
Pearson Test of English General
Level 3, or higher
The European Language Certificates, or telc - language tests
telc English B2, or higher
TOEFL iBT (computer-based test)
Scores from 61 and above
TOEFL PBT (paper-based test)
Scores from 543 and above; Score of 4.0 (scale 1-6) in written test or higher
Trinity's Integrated Skills in English (ISE) exams
ISE II level, or higher
7. I am an UK citizen interested in the Programmes in English you offer. Should I sit the Entry test in English?
A: As a native speaker you would be exempted from the English part of the test but as the Entry test examines your Biology and Chemistry knowledge on the secondary education level you have to sit the Biology and Chemistry part of the test as those two marks from the test will participate in the forming of competitive ranking of your application on which we base our admission.
8. Q: When is deadline for application?
A: There are different application deadlines. If you are interested in:
- the programmes in English and you are EU prospective student, please click here application deadlines ;
- if you are non-EU prospective student, please click here application deadlines
- direct admission in the Programmes offered in Bulgarian language (proficient in Bulgaria) and you are EU citizen or hold a permanent residence in Bulgaria, then you should click here
9. Q: Where Can I get my documents translated into Bulgarian language?
A: You can get your documents translated into Bulgarian in one of the following ways:
- By contacting the Bulgarian consulates or Embassy in your country – sometimes they offer such service or they would be able to provide you with information for your area;
- You can google translation bureaus/office/agencies in your area offering Bulgarian translations
- You can contact translation offices in Bulgaria. There are plenty of translation offices in Varna.
10. Q: Where can I get my documents legalized (certified)?
Documents issued in a foreign state which is party to the Hague Convention shall have an apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For more information regarding the Apostille stamp and the authorities, authorized to issue Apostille, please refer tohttp://www.hcch.net
If the country of the applicant is not a member the Hague Convention (did not sign it) the documents must be legalized by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the country of residence of the applicant and the Consular section of the Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in the respective country.
Documents with the apostille stamps need to be translated into Bulgarian in one of the following two ways:
1. By a consular or Diplomatic official in the country where the document is issued;
2. By a translation agency authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Bulgaria;
Note: all authentications-apostilles and seals must be original and not copied applied on the documents which are to be submitted at Medical University of Varna.
11. Q: I did not study Biology and Chemistry courses in my secondary education? Can I join the Preparatory courses you offer and compensate them?
A: The preparatory courses we offer cannot compensate the lack of Biology and Chemistry training in secondary school. The purpose of our preparatory courses is to teach students the language (Bulgarian or English)-general and specialized (terminology).
We advise you to contact the Ministry of Education in your country and enquire for the options of conducting the Biology and Chemistry training obligatory for secondary education in your country.
12. Q: What are the tuition fees for international students?
You can find the tuition fees from here
13. Q: Can I visit MUV before I apply / after my application?
You are welcome to visit our University during our open days
. If those dates are not appropriate we would be glad to offer you University tours throughout the year, you just have to contact us at admissions@mu-varna and inform us in advance (at least a week).